CARP is a mutual aid and harm reduction project committed to sharing resources and redistributing wealth throughout the Kensington community and Philadelphia. We do so by following the leadership of those receiving our resources; all of our projects come from community members’ suggestions and ideas. Currently, we table outside our office on Kensington and Lehigh twice a week. During tabling, we hand out essential hygiene supplies, safer drug use kits, hot food and snacks, offer a phone charging station and first aid care, and host a small radical library. We also offer personalized assistance like help finding housing or applying for benefits.
Another important aspect of our project is sharing knowledge. We host weekly group reading sessions in which we learn from each other and revolutionary movements and thinkers from the past and present. Past sessions have covered incarceration and the prison-industrial complex, colonialism, and Black revolutionary politics.
What We’ve Achieved
- Distributed thousands of hygiene packs in Kensington
- Assisted neighbors to find housing, apply for benefits, and more
- Provided much needed first aid care
- Built and fostered relationships with hundreds of households across Philadelphia
- Created a vibrant and supportive community out of our supply hub
- Hosted radical discussions